Uterine prolapse is a condition in which the sexual organ slips out of its normal position. In general, not only the uterus prolapses, but also the bladder and the end of the large intestine prolapse. Surgical treatment is the last treatment option for such problems. In case that the prolapsed uterus affects the sexual life, cosmetic surgery should be preferred.
What are the causes?
- Advanced age
- It may occur in any age as well
- Multiple delivery
- Giving birth to a big baby
- Lifting heavy things
- Chronic cough
- Frequent straining due to constipation
- Decreased estrogen levels
- Increased strainings over the years
- Weakening of the muscles and ligaments forming the lower supportive structures
What are the symptoms?
- Palpable mass in the vagina
- Back pain
- Disturbed bowel movements
- Sensation of fullness, pressure in your groins, lower area
- Problem in urination or urinary incontinence
- Feeling that something will come out of the vagina
- Feeling of sitting on a mass
- All symptoms causing mild discomfort in the morning and severe discomfort in the evening
What are the diagnostic tests?
- It is necessary to have examination in the department of obstetrics and gynecology, since a gynecological examination is required.
- The doctor asks you how many pregnancy and vaginal delivery you had.
- Gynecological examination is performed in the lying and standing position.
- The doctor asks you to cough or strain during the examination.
- Ultrasound or MRI may be ordered.
Complications in uterine prolapse
- Ulcer (wound): Uterine prolapse causes vaginal ulcer (wound) as the whole cervix tissue will be outside in the case of uterine prolapse. Infection may develop.
- Bladder prolapse is the protrusion of the bladder adjacent to the anterior vaginal wall. When this condition occurs, the abdominal pressure increases in activities such as coughing, sneezing and lifting heavy things, causing the patient to feel the bladder bulged into the the vagina manually.
Non-drug treatment recommendations in uterine prolapse
- Overweight people are recommended to lose weight.
- Kegel exercises (strengthening the lower abdominal muscles) are recommended.
- Lifting heavy things and straining should be avoided.
- Smoking should be stopped.
- Vaginal pessary is a device designed to support the uterus to remain in its position by being inserted into the vagina.
What is the surgical treatment of uterine prolapse?
- Vaginal hysterectomy: The uterus and excess tissues are removed.
- Suspension support: The weak lower abdominal muscles are supported by suspensions made of our own tissue or synthetic material.
- Laparoscopic surgery: it is a method carried out with a camera inserted through small incisions made on the abdomen.
Who should undergo surgical treatment for uterine prolapse?
- Those who desire to have a child (pregnancy and delivery force the supportive tissue and destroys the benefit of the surgical procedure)
- Patients with chronic disease (anesthesia may pose a risk)
What are the points to pay attention after the treatment of uterine prolapse?
- Uterine prolapse, Attention should be paid not to get pregnant. If a woman gets pregnancy after vaginal tightening, delivery should be performed by caesarean section.