Uncontrolled leak of urine from the bladder at inappropriate times is called urinary incontinence. People may have urge to go to the toilet and may not have a chance to get to the toilet, or it is noticed that urine leaked and wetted the underwear in unexpected moments. Many conditions may be a factor for this and many conditions can be considered as risk factors. Complaints of urinary incontinence may arise simultaneously with chronic diseases (constipation, cough, bronchitis) after birth, with the side effects of a number of drugs used, in those with a history of frequent urinary tract infection, concurrently with pregnancy and with increasing age.
Types of urinary incontinence:
1) Urinary incontinence due to excess urgency/urge incontinence (overactive bladder)
2) Urinary incontinence due to increased intraabdominal pressure such as coughing, sneezing, laughing (stress incontinence)
3) Mixed urinary incontinence (coexistence of both mentioned above)
Prevention methods that may be a solution for urinary incontinence problem
First of all, it is necessary to be conscious about the cause. If urinary incontinence is mild, a number of preventive measures can be taken.
Preventive Measures for Urinary Incontinence İdrar Kaçırma Önlemleri
Preventive Measures for Urinary Incontinence:
- You should avoid being constipated.
- Since it will frequently trigger urinary tract infection, urine flow should be supported with plenty of water consumption.
- Smoking should be avoided since it will trigger chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (asthma, bronchitis)
- People with excess weight problem should lose weight (obesity is one of the causes of urinary incontinence)
- Patients should avoid heavy works. Both the load on the pelvis is reduced and the pelvic muscles are prevented from damage
- The doctor’s recommendations are followed to strengthen the connective tissues. Kegel exercises can be done.
- Labor follow-up should be performed under the supervision of a physician.
- If labor is difficult, caesarean section should be performed. Delivery should not be performed at home by unqualified midwives.
- The abdomen should not be strongly pressed during birth.